.NET Framework 4.5 Features:
Windows Workflow Foundation(WF)
- State machine workflows Enhancements
- Enhanced Workflow Designer features
- Storage of the view state information for a workflow in a single element in the XAML file
- Versioning enhancements
Windows Communication Foundation(WCF)
- Support for a UDP transport that enables developers to write services that use “fire and forget” messaging. A client sends a message to a service and expects no response from the service
- Support for WCF services that use internationalized domain names (IDNs).
- Ability to support multiple authentication modes on a single WCF endpoint when using the HTTP transport and transport security
- New HTTPS protocol mapping to make it easier to expose an endpoint over HTTPS with Internet Information Services (IIS).
Windows Presentation Foundation(WPF)
- New features for the VirtualizingPanel and Dispatcher classes.
- Improved performance when displaying large sets of grouped data, and by accessing collections on non-UI threads.
- Ability to set the amount of time that should elapse between property changes and data source updates
- The new Ribbon control, which enables you to implement a ribbon user interface that hosts a Quick Access Toolbar, Application Menu, and tabs
- Support for Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) parsing
- Support for Email Address Internationalization (EAI)
- Improved IPv6 support.
- Dual-mode socket support.
- Support for content distribution network (CDN) fallback in the ScriptManager control.
- Support for asynchronous modules and handlers
- Support for new HTML5 form types
- Integrated encoding routines from the AntiXSS library (previously an external library) to protect from cross-site scripting attacks
- Enhancements in Parallel Computing
- Resource file Generator(Resgen.exe) – Used to creat a .resources file to .resw file for use in Windows Store apps
- Managed Profile Guided Optimization (Mpgo.exe) – Enables you to improve application startup time, memory utilization (working set size), and throughput by optimizing native image assemblies
.NET for Windows Store apps
- Windows Store apps are designed for specific form factors and leverage the power of the Windows operating system. A subset of the .NET Framework 4.5 is available for building Windows Store apps for Windows by using C# or Visual Basic. This subset is called .NET for Windows Store apps.
.NET Framework 4.0 Features:
- Common Language Runtime (CLR) – The following sections describe new features in security, parallel computing, performance and diagnostics, dynamic language runtime, and other CLR-related technologies
- Base Class Libraries
- Networking – Enhancements have been made that affect how integrated Windows authentication is handled by the HttpWebRequest, HttpListener, SmtpClient, SslStream, NegotiateStream, and related classes in the System.Net and related namespaces
- Web – The following sections describe new features in ASP.NET core services, Web Forms, Dynamic Data, and Visual Web Developer.
- Client – The following sections describe new features in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF).
- Communications – Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) provides the new features and enhancements described in the following sections.
- Workflow – Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) in .NET Framework 4.0 changes several development paradigms from earlier versions. Workflows are now easier to create, execute, and maintain.
.NET Framework 3.5 Features:
- Language Integrated Query (LINQ) for SQL, XML, Dataset, Object
- Addin system
- p2p base class
- Active directory
- ASP.NET Ajax
- Anonymous types with static type inference
- Paging support for ADO.NET
- ADO.NET synchronization API to synchronize local caches and server side data stores
- Asynchronous network I/O API
- Support for HTTP pipelining and syndication feeds.
- New System.CodeDom namespace
.NET Framework 3.0 Features:
Also called WinFX,includes a new set of managed code APIs that are an integral part of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems and provides
- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) - formerly called Indigo; a service-oriented messaging system which allows programs to interoperate locally or remotely similar to web services
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) - formerly called Avalon; a new user interface subsystem and API based on XML and vector graphics, which uses 3D computer graphics hardware and Direct3D technologies.
- Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) allows for building of task automation and integrated transactions using workflows.
- Windows CardSpace, formerly called InfoCard; a software component which securely stores a person’s digital identities and provides a unified interface for choosing the identity for a particular transaction, such as logging in to a website
.NET FrameWork 2. 0 Features:
- Anonymous methods
- Partial class
- Nullable type
- The new API gives a fine grain control on the behavior of the runtime with regards to multithreading, memory allocation, assembly loading and more
- Full 64-bit support for both the x64 and the IA64 hardware platforms
- New personalization features for ASP.NET, such as support for themes, skins and webparts.
- .NET Micro Framework
- Data Tables